Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Back to School Night

Tonight was back to school night at Benjamin's new school.  My overwhelming impression of the school was, "Wow.  It's HOT!"  Believe it or not, Benjamin's school doesn't have air conditioning!  (Except the computer lab which has a window unit-- possibly sending subliminal messages to the children to embrace modern technology??)  Last I checked it was 2011.  So why doesn't his school have AC?  Spoiled Americans should NOT have to live like this!  It's outrageous!  What his class does have is this really big box fan that gets nice 'n loud if you turn it up enough to make a slight breeze.  I wouldn't say that it creates the best of learning atmospheres.

When I wasn't fantasizing about climbing into freezers or jumping into glacial lakes, I learned that Benjamin's teacher is going to skip 3rd grade math entirely and just teach the 4th grade curriculum.  She seems very sharp and on top of things, and frankly, a little intimidating.  She looks incredibly fit and tan (especially for a woman probably in her 50's) and has pictures of people (herself possibly?) doing martial arts all over one wall in the classroom.  I won't be surprised if I end up having nightmares about not getting my homework done for weeks! 

Despite the heat and the fact that he hasa teacher who could beat the tar out of all of us without breaking a sweat, I think Benjamin is in good hands at Peruvian Park and that he'll do well-- if he can keep up with all of the Asian kids in his class!

1 comment:

  1. We love your posts. We both laughed and laughed. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete