Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Buffalo Run

Yesterday morning was a nerve-wracking one for me. Brigham ran the Buffalo Run 25k (that's about 15.5 miles for those of us who are not super mathematical) on Antelope Island, and the shocking truth of it is that he really hadn't trained properly. Blame his work schedule and different illnesses, but when it all came down to it, he was not ready to race a 25k. Especially a 25k trail run. Up and down steep mountains. In the mud from the rain the day before. With wild buffalo roaming about ready and willing to gore passing runners. So I was nervous. But like always, Brigham rose to the challenge and slew the Buffalo Run, soundly beating all of his colleagues from work that he was so worried about being humiliated in front of. True, he can barely walk today, but he can drink proudly from his new Buffalo Run coffee mug.
(Brigham didn't really want me to post this picture because he says that it looks like he's walking to the finish line, which is not entirely accurate. It really looks more like power walking. But the truth is that he absolutely was running. I can swear to it.)


After Brigham's victorious run and Benjamin's first soccer game of the spring season (which was not as victorious but fun nevertheless), we went with Grandma and Grandpa Dastrup to the Discovery Gateway museum. Any place that can make all of my kids this happy is one of my favorite places! What a good time!

4 comments:

  1. I love that expression on Jacob's face! We should try that place sometime...

    Great job Brigham! I didn't question for 1 second whether or not he was running to the finish line!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brigham was walking a lot like me yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looks like he's sprinting to the finish line to me! Way to go, Brigham! :)

    I love Jacob's expression too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brigham, you rock! But I want you to know that I jogged clear from my car into the store the other day and I wasn't even sore afterwards for days on end. Maybe that 4 miles a day of walking is helping me out!
    Hey!! We grannies have to get our milestones to be proud of in other ways !

    ReplyDelete