Sunday, April 24, 2011

Our "Rockin'" Spring Break


















After years of being held hostage at home by Jacob's passionate hatred of camping, we finally got to sleep in a tent again-- thanks to Grandma Dastrup. Jacob stayed home with Grandma and had a fun time going to the children's museum, Wheeler Farm, the library and just enjoying some one-on-one time. We took the other monkeys camping at Goblin Valley. It was awesome! Talk about a little boy's paradise: tons of dirt to play in, rocks to climb, and hills to run up and down. Ty and Benjmain were in heaven. We had a great time playing hide-and-seek games in Goblin Valley, making tinfoil dinners, roasting marshmallows and eating s'mores, telling "ghost stories" around the campfire, and hiking at Capitol Reef. I was worried that maybe our family just wasn't a camping family, but to my relief I learned that the only non-camper is Jacob. It was glorious to be out in nature again! But I must admit the trip was a little bitter-sweet. (Those who are only here for light reading should stop reading at this point because I'm about to bare a part of my soul which can get a little awkward.) It was so incredibly liberating to not have to worry about keeping Jacob from trying to vomit in the car every 10 minutes. We didn't even take our portable DVD player on our trip! And it was EASY and FUN without it! It was great to be able to particpate in whatever was going on instead of trying to keep Jacob happy. But whenever I found myself feeling free and like we were enjoying ourselves as a "normal" family, I'd quickly be struck down by feelings of guilt. I mean, what kind of parents take a family vacation and leave one of their children behind? I know he would have HATED every moment and that we couldn't have done it with him, but still... What kind of mother enjoys the absence of one of her children? I fervently wish that Jacob loved camping as much as the rest of us, but he just doesn't. It's sad to know that we may never enjoy camping as a whole family in this life, and that any time we want to let our other kids experience the joy of camping that we must impose on someone else to care for Jacob for us. But I guess that it is just all part of the package that comes with Jacob. I guess we have to pay for that unconditional love and those endless hugs somehow. We wouldn't trade our Jacob for any number of camping trips!









7 comments:

  1. I am glad you were able to do that. Yay for Claudia and Max! You should plan to do that again sometime this summer...even if it is just up at the mtn (if the snow ever melts!) and I will tend Jacob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you guys had an awesome time! I am so glad. I'm sure Ty and Benjamin loved every minute of it. Sure looks that way from the pictures! :)
    And I think your feelings about Jacob are totally normal and perfectly fine. You and Brigham are wonderful parents to him. He just doesn't like camping or being outside. But your other kids do, so it's awesome that you can do things like this for them too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it makes you feel better, my parents left me on my first birthday to go to Disneyland with the rest of the crew.

    I don't think Jacob has any hard feelings about it - he was doing what he would enjoy, and you are fine to have a few days doing something that you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you guys had such a good time. They way I look at it, there are lots of things you do as a family, some times it is good to give individuals some more focused time. There are times you give Jacob more focused time, and times you give your other boys that same focus.
    I can understand your point of view but I wouldn't stress over it. Everyone was happier because of the way you did it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW, you know I think that you are a great and patient mother... and the fact of the matter is that had you taken him HE would have hated it. It is because you love him that you left him, and everyone was happier because of it..including Jacob. So don't bother with the guilt trip! You did great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pictures! And I agree you are a wonderful mother!! If you ever want to do an over nighter up American Fork canyon give us a call. We love camping trips.

    ReplyDelete