Sunday, April 22, 2012

A Close Call-- Vegas Style

Brigham had an oral boards review course in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago, and I decided to go with him to turn it into a mini-vacation of sorts.  We were excited to see a show, and a friend told us about these kiosks where you can buy discount tickets.  As soon as we arrived in Vegas-- before going to our hotel or anything else-- Brigham dropped me off at one such kiosk to scope out the tickets left for that evening.  We'd seen a Cirque du Soleil show in Baltimore and really enjoyed it, and we were hoping to see a different one in Vegas.  As I checked the board displaying which discount tickets were still available, I was relieved to see that one of the four Cirque du Soleil shows still had tickets-- a show called Zumanity.  I asked one of the employees about the tickets, and he told me that they only had a few tickets left for that evening-- and all were in the "audience participation section."  I imagined us being called up to help the performers with their acrobatics and wasn't particularly excited by the image.  Brigham arrived shortly thereafter, and I explained the situation.  He said, "What?  Are you afraid of being called out of the audience to participate?"  I said, "Well, yes!"  He said, "I'm not!  I think it would be awesome!"  The employee was listening to our conversation and stepped in to offer a solution by saying, "Well, we have tickets to other shows like Zumanity if you don't want to participate."  He handed Brigham a pamphlet for some kind of "peep show", and we were both  horrified.  I said, "Oh!  We don't want to see THAT!" and he said, "Well, it's the same kind of show as Zumanity!"  Brigham has always teased me a little for my naivete, but not even he saw that one coming!  Talk about a close call!  Without the "audience participation section"(I don't even want to know!) clause tacked on to the Zumanity tickets, we probably would have innocently bought the $100 non-refundable tickets and only realized our mistake once seated in the show!  We had no idea that Cirque du Soleil did anything but clean acrobatic shows!  After driving around in Vegas for awhile we saw enough Zumanity billboards to KNOW that we didn't want to see it!

We ended up seeing  Cirque du Soleil "Viva Elvis".  It wasn't our first choice, but it was a really fun show and a lot more up our alley!

No comments:

Post a Comment